Men’s Soccer Takes First Game 2-1 Against CBC, Falls 2-1 to UIW

The UCA men’s team (1-3-0) took its in-town competition the Central Baptist College Mustangs (0-1-1) to the pitch on Sept. 4, winning 2-1 after an impressive offensive showing from junior forward Wes Carson.

UCA controlled possession throughout the first half, holding an 8-0 lead in shots at the break, although neither team was able to put the ball into the back of the net.

The Bears took the lead in the 62nd minute, when sophomore midfielder William Woody and freshman defender Greg Jacobus crafted an advance that found the head of Carson, who was able to put it past CBC goalkeeper sophomore Bryce Deaton for his first goal of the season.

The Mustangs were not done for the night as they evened the score at 1-1 in the 67th minute, with sophomore forward Callum Morris’ attack off a cross from sophomore midfielder Ferdinand Matebu getting the goal from six yards out.

Rushing off of his first goal, Carson scored the game-winner in the 81st minute, scooping up a cross from sophomore forward Colton Jackson for his second goal of the night.

Junior goalkeeper Taran Meyer knew that the game would be a hyped one, giving the team an even greater confidence boost going into its rivalry game against Incarnate Word on Sunday.

“CBC had a revamped team this year, and we knew they were going to give us a good game,” Meyer said. “We took into account that that game was a massive game for them. They brought a lot of supporters out and came with a lot of energy, and we knew we had to match or best that energy.”

Carson led the UCA attack on the night, putting both of his attempts on frame, while freshman forward Jacob Jerles and sophomore midfielder Pepe San Roman each added an attempt on goal.

Sophomore goalkeeper Harrison Veith kept the CBC offense at a standstill with his goalkeeping, making one save for the night.

“i thought the crowd for the CBC game was amazing,” Veith said. “it was a thrilling experience playing in front of so many people,” he said.

The Bears returned to the pitch Sept. 6, continuing their yearly rivalry with the University of the Incarnate Word Cardinals.

The Bears led the majority of the match until Incarnate Word was able to string together a couple of late plays to take the win 2-1.

Carson put the Bears on the board in the 10th minute with the assistance of San Roman, earning his third goal of the season.

UCA’s lead would hold until the 81st minute, when Incarnate Word senior midfielder Noah Keats launched a free kick into the Central Arkansas box, where it found the head of senior defender Alex Hoyl, who knocked it home to even the score at 1-1.

Just two minutes later, the Cardinals clinched the game-winner when senior defender Jonathan Camarena found Keats, who beat UCA’s Veith from eight yards out.

On the day, the Bears put 12 of their 18 shots on goal.

Freshman midfielder Daltyn Knutson, freshman forward Joey Kampmann and San Roman each put a pair of shots on frame, while freshman defender Niklas Sandquist, sophomore forward Colton Jackson and freshman forward Carson Cacciatore each put a single shot on goal.

Veith had a career-high day, managing 11 saves, tying him for the fourth-most in a single game in school history.

The Bears have a week to recuperate before returning to action at home against the University of Missouri—Kansas City Roos at 7 p.m. Sept. 12.

This article originally appeared in the Sept. 9, 2015 print edition of The Echo.

image via

Softball sweeps Southeastern Lady Lions; SLC record improves to 7-3, 17-21 overall

Previous article

Voice: Speak Up SGA Project allows student input for campus improvements

Next article

You may also like