Bears season ends in 41-14 loss to Grizzlies

The Bears season came to an end on Saturday in a 41-14 loss to the Montana Grizzlies at Washington-Grizzly Stadium in Missoula, Mont.
The loss, the Bears’ first since Sept. 24 to the Arkansas State Red Wolves, marked the end of the team’s eight-game win streak.
The Bears started slow on offense, turning the ball over on their first three possessions, leading to a 17-0 lead by the Grizzlies at the end of the first quarter.
Coach Clint Conque said the team was ready to play, maybe even a little too “amped up,” and the addition of early turnovers to a good team on the road was too much to overcome.
Senior wide receiver Isaiah Jackson said it was evident everyone on the team was excited to play, and to lose was hard to take, especially with it being his final game as a Bear.
“My emotions were high,” Jackson said. “I think everyone was excited about playing in the game. Being on such a high stage and to lose like we did was just deflating. It’s just tough to end my career like that.”
After the Bears forced a three-and-out on the Grizzlies’ first possession, junior wide receiver Jesse Grandy fumbled the punt, which was recovered by the Grizzlies. The turnover led to the first score of the game on a field goal by Grizzlies senior kicker Brody McKnight.
The Bears turned the ball over again on the first play of the ensuing drive on a fumble by junior running back Terence Bobo. The Grizzlies turned that turnover into seven points with an eight-yard touchdown pass from sophomore quarterback Jordan Johnson to senior wide receiver Jabin Sambrano.
The third turnover from the Bears in the first quarter, an interception by senior quarterback Nathan Dick, led to a two-yard touchdown run from Grizzlies junior running back Peter Nguyen.
Jackson said the team was not shaken from being behind, because of games earlier this year, but the team could not find a way to answer.
“We came out ready and fired up to play the game, but some things went bad with the early turnovers,” Jackson said. “Things didn’t go our way and we couldn’t seem to come back from them.”
The Grizzles took a 31-0 lead into the half after scoring two touchdowns in the second quarter. The Bears played better in the second half, but it was still not enough to mount a comeback.
The Bears’ first touchdown came late in the third quarter when Dick hit Grandy on a 44-yard touchdown pass to make the score 38-7.
The Bears scored again with 1:58 left in the game on an eight-yard pass from Dick to freshman wide receiver Al Lasker.
Conque said he was more pleased with the second half performance and with the fact the team never game up.
Dick finished the day 26 for 40 with 265 yards, two touchdowns and one interception.
Grandy led the Bears in receiving with 59 yards on three receptions.
The Bears were held to only 25 yards rushing, while the Grizzlies ran for 229 yards and three touchdowns. Nguyen led the way for the Grizzlies on the ground with 79 yards on 11 attempts and one touchdown. Jordan Canada added 58 yards on 10 attempts with two touchdowns.
Bears senior linebacker Frank Newsome led the way for the team on defense, recording a career-high 16 tackles.
The Grizzlies also won the total offensive yards battle, 415-290.
The Bears finished the season with a 9-4 overall record.

Newest Rom-Com Shows The Benefits Of Being Young, Single In New York

Previous article

UCA Benefits Welcome LBGT

Next article

You may also like