Bears beat Gents 2-1 for first 2010 home win

The UCA Men’s Soccer team defeated the Centenary Gents 2-1 at the Bill Stephens Track/Soccer Complex on Sept. 7 after a devastating loss to the University of Missouri at Kansas City Kangaroos in overtime on Sept. 4.
Sophomore midfielder Mickey Segura struck first for the Bears, firing a shot in from 30 yards out past Centenary’s senior goalkeeper Rennie Walker for his first goal of the season, just four minutes into the game.
However, while the Bears scored early, coming out flat and slowing down in the first half seems to be a problem that has been plaguing them so far this season, senior forward Alex Parker said.
“We came out a lot better this game but we got too comfortable after we scored,” he said.
While the Bears slowed down, the Gents attacked in the 35th minute to tie off of a recovery by Centenary’s senior forward Heath Cox after a stop on a strike by junior midfielder Marcoz Rodriguez.
“It was too hectic for awhile and we weren’t very disciplined after they scored. When halftime came it gave us time to calm down,” Parker said.
The Bears did just that, coming out hot in the second half firing 11 of their total 15 shots and outshooting the Gents 15 to 11.
Senior forward Wynne Mason put the game away for the Bears in the 68th minute off a pass from freshman midfielder Nick Figaro.
“Alex Parker, Nick Figaro, and Taylor Hart did a great job of creating opportunities in the second half out in the wide channel serving balls in and the midfielders did an awesome job of pressuring,” Coach Chad Flanders said. “Wynne had a huge goal coming in and putting it away for us.”
While the Bears put the game away, Flanders said there is still a lot of work to be done.
“We struggle at times to play in the first half and if you struggle in the first half in the conference it’s going to be difficult,” Flanders said. “We’re not coming out the way we can in the first half and staying aggressive, we need everyone to be tuned in and be ready to go from the start.”
The Bears had many misses in the second half when they stepped up the offense, Parker said.
“It should have been 5-1 in the second half,” he said.
However, the Bears came out strong in the beginning of the first half looking much better and were able to put it away in the second and fend off the Gents for the win.
Bears senior goalkeeper Ivan Zarate recorded six saves throughout the game, three in each half of play.
The Gents senior goalkeeper Rennie Walker recorded two saves during the game, with one save in each half of play.
The Bears hosted the Indiana University – Purdue University Indianapolis Jaguars on Sept. 10 at the Bill Stephens Track/Soccer Complex where the Bears lost 1-2.
The Bears next games will be at the Oregon State Hensor/Zaher Nike Classic in Corvallis, Ore., this weekend. The Bears will be playing against the Seattle University Redhawks on Sept. 17 at 4 p.m. The Bears second match-up for the tournament is against the Oregon State Beavers on Sept. 18 at 8:30 p.m.
The Bears will be back to play their next home game on Sept. 25 at the Bill Stephens Track/Soccer Complex at 4 p.m. against the Missouri State Bears.

SGA Approves Mass Comm Fee

Previous article

Rising star releases new chapter

Next article

You may also like